Order Online or Call Toll Free 888-613-0076
Free Shipping on Most Orders*

FAQ on Downlighting

How to determine right housing for the trim selected?
The key is to pick the right housing from the “Matching Components” displayed under each trim. First you have to determine whether it is for new house being built or renovating the existing ceiling. So you need new construction housing with hanger bars for the house being built or remodel housing for the ceiling that exists. Second thing you need to determine if housing will be in contact with insulation, you need IC housing or Non IC housing. Third thing is to determine the wattage requirements and also the dimensions and applicable trims.

Can these Fixtures be installed outside under covered porch or in the bathroom?
Yes all these fixtures are UL listed for damp locations and some for wet locations (above a shower)

Can Housings be used on a drop ceiling and how to install? New Construction housings are available in all sizes with hanger bars that will rest on top of the “T” bars for installation and are secured tight in position. These hanger bars can be moved to accommodate joists running perpendicular.

What it means by IC rated and Non IC rated? IC rated housing can be installed with insulation covering on all sides of the can and Non IC rated housing require minimum clearance of 3 inches from thermal insulation and 1/2 inch from adjacent building components to avoid danger of fire from heat. IC rated housing can touch the insulation and also the wood in case there is less space. Our recessed down lights feature airtight construction to reduce energy costs and safety rated for direct contact with insulation and combustive materials and do not have any minimum clearance requirements.

What are the choices of light sources in Downlighting?
There is a wide choice of light sources in Downlighting such as- Incandescent, HID ceramic metal halide, Low voltage, Halogen, Compact Fluorescent and LED.

What is the advantage of Compact Fluorescent Recessed Fixtures?
Compact Fluorescent recessed light provides an energy efficient alternative , cost saving solution for retail, office and residential areas. Fixtures include electronic ballasts, vertical or horizontal lamp positions with dimming options. Also our high quality architectural and commercial reflectors provide maximum efficiency with less glare.

What is the difference between low voltage and line voltage?
Line voltage is 120V and Low voltage lighting converts 120V or 277V to a typical 12volts. The 12volts allows for the use of a smaller filament which creates greater beam control and brightness and produce true color renditions. The lamp used in low voltage fixtures are MR lamps. Low voltage fixtures are easily dimmed. Low voltage fixtures come with transformer either mounted in the fixture or remotely located which are either magnetic or electronic. Line voltage lighting takes large PAR or R or A type incandescent lamps quick to install and operates on standard incandescent dimmer.

What is the difference between Magnetic and Electronic transformer housing fixtures?
Magnetic transformer housing have magnetic transformer usually used in commercial applications and in most residential applications as well ensure controlled voltage to the bulbs maximizing the bulb life. Low voltage magnetic dimmers are used for magnetic transformer fixtures, come in a large variety of wattages. Electronic transformer fixtures can be dimmed with a low voltage electronic dimmer however their wattages are more limited. Electronic transformers are lighter and quiet than magnetic transformers.